Railway Heritage Centre and Train Display

<previous> <next>

Part 3: History Of The Stelco 40 - Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo 42

Moving The Train Video

Click on any photo to see a larger version

Built in 1912 at the Montreal Locomotive Works the Stelco 40 was built for the Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo Railway as a B-2 Class 0-6-0 steam locomotive and weighed in at 166,000 lbs., or 83 tons. She had 21x28" cylinders, 51" drivers and a boiler pressure of 180 psi.

She was one of 13 B-2's numbering from 42 to 54 ordered by TH&B and built by the Montreal Locomotive Works and Canadian Locomotive Company. Three of these were requisitioned by the war board and sold to Canadian National in 1918.

Stelco 42 - Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo 42

Brantford, May 21, 1934 - Photo courtesy of John Spring - O.P. Maus Collection

Originally numbered as TH&B 42, she was renumbered to TH&B 40 in 1947 to make room on the #50 series roster for the newly arrived diesel switchers. TH&B 40 was retired in April of 1955 but saw occasional service as a roundhouse switcher and a stationary boiler.

TH&B 42's tender, also built by the Montreal Locomotive Works, had a 5,500 gallon water tank and a coal bin to hold a nine (9) ton load. Empty the tender weighed 48,185 lbs and fully loaded a weight of 112, 000 lbs or 56 tons.

In November 1955, she was given the tender from TH&B 41 as the tender from 41 was in much better condition than her original tender.

The Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway was incorporated in 1884 to build from Toronto via Hamilton to the International Bridge over the Niagara River. It was jointly controlled by the New York Central and Canadian Pacific for many years C in the late 1980s CP Rail would acquire sole control, and fold the TH&B into its own operations. TH&B cars can still be found in service, but in ever-dwindling numbers. (Ian Cranstone)

In June 1959 she was sold to Stelco Steel of Hamilton and was known as Stelco 40.

Stelco 40 - Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo 40

Brantford, May 21, 1934 - Photo courtesy of John Spring - O.P. Maus Collection

Originally numbered as TH&B 42, she was renumbered to TH&B 40 in 1947 to make room on the #50 series roster for the newly arrived diesel switchers. TH&B 40 was retired in April of 1955 but saw occasional service as a roundhouse switcher and a stationary boiler.

TH&B 42's tender, also built by the Montreal Locomotive Works, had a 5,500 gallon water tank and a coal bin to hold a nine (9) ton load. Empty the tender weighed 48,185 lbs and fully loaded a weight of 112, 000 lbs or 56 tons.

In November 1955, she was given the tender from TH&B 41 as the tender from 41 was in much better condition than her original tender.

The Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway was incorporated in 1884 to build from Toronto via Hamilton to the International Bridge over the Niagara River. It was jointly controlled by the New York Central and Canadian Pacific for many years C in the late 1980s CP Rail would acquire sole control, and fold the TH&B into its own operations. TH&B cars can still be found in service, but in ever-dwindling numbers. (Ian Cranstone)

In June 1959 she was sold to Stelco Steel of Hamilton and was known as Stelco 40.

Stelco 40

Photo courtesy of Russ Moore

Sources: Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Historical Society Ian Cranstone John Spring Lindsay & District Model Railroaders - March 2010

<previous> <next>